[Mapserver-users] Easy Question - PC to Unix

Mark Rodrigo mark at markrodrigo.com
Sat Feb 22 00:40:31 EST 2003

Hello:

This should be straight forward. I just don't see this spelled out enough
for me being a newbie compiler, and not desiring to waste obvious
time(obvious to you guys).

I have successfuly run the demo and Mapserver on my windows PC with Apache
running. This is not the Cygwin version of Apache, but the "normal" Apache
for Windows. I downloaded the compiled Win32 binaries, followed the read me,
had few issues and whalla success.

Ok, so now I need to begin to port this over to my hosted website which is
Linux and Apache, and I am reading and reading, and my instincts are saying
well I don't think you can do the Unix compile on that server you have space
on, I don't have access to a Unix box, so you probably should get Cygwin and
compile it with that on your PC, then port it back to your CGI-bin on your
website. Am I thinking correctly? I do have access to MSVC++ compiler, but
that's not going to work for a Unix deploy right?

Thanks

Mark