[Mapserver-users] Tiling a large raster

Matthew Hatcher MJHatcher at space.qinetiq.com
Tue Feb 25 05:10:25 EST 2003

Hi all,

I have several massive GeoTIFF rasters (talking 3.5GB each here), and would
really quite like to tile them to make them a little easier to handle.

I've seen the GDAL tileindex application which takes a set of tiles and
builds a shapefile index, but is there any tool out there that will take a
massive raster and split it up into georeferenced chunks (doesn't have to be
GeoTIFF, just something that Mapserver can read)?

Whilst on the subject, the ECW format would seem to be a more sensible
storage format than the GeoTIFF. The documentation on this format is a
little sketchy - is it an option that can be turned on with configure or
does it come as part of one of the other filters eg. GDAL? If anybody's used
it I'd appreciate some pointers.

Cheers,
Matt.

The information contained in this email and any subsequent
 correspondence is private and is intended solely for the
intended recipient(s). For those other than the intended
 recipient(s) any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any
action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such
information is prohibited and may be unlawful.