[Mapserver-users] 1000 shapefiles or a database?

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Feb 25 07:40:43 EST 2003

You might consider a combo approach where you keep you data in
shapefiles and some in the DB, then write a front-end app that
dynamically writes a mapfile for the specific user request. This
might make it easier to deal with only displaying specific time
windows. Just a thought.

For you geometric data, shapefiles will probably be fastest, or you
should be looking at PostGIS/Postgres DB and not MySQL. MySQL is fine
for just attribute data but you can yet reference it in you mapfiles.
I think someone is working on that for MS3.7 or later.

-Steve W.