[Mapserver-users] Fastest Data Format

GAIA mapserver at peligroso.gaiaenv.com
Thu Jan 2 18:26:01 EST 2003

Hi all,

I just read my posting, which sounds somewhat curt and it wasn't meant to be.  Shapefiles are nice and quick for the most part and MapServer is still the best solution for us by far.  Having said that, the SDE performance is not up to par with the rest of the application.  As part of our model, we promote multiple applications hitting a common data set.  SDE connectivity is a must as our needs and many of our clients' needs evolve (many of our clients use SDE already), and we were excited to see its inclusion.

Shapefiles have, for the most part, performed well for us, even with large data sets.  Performance aside, as we and our clients manage larger data sets, the data management convenience of a RDBMS approach is more logical and cost effective.  The volume of tiles can get rediculous with large data sets and multiple clients.  Now, if we could only realise the performance...

Cheers,
GAIA