[Mapserver-users] TrueType Font and Label Angle

Pericles Nacionales nacional at cbs.umn.edu
Mon Jan 13 16:13:29 EST 2003

Larry,

Did you try compiling GD and MapServer with the same freetype version?
I usually compile mine with version 1.3.1 and everything works just fine.
Here's what I do to compile Freetype 1.3.1 with MapServer:
./configure --enable-force-freetype1 --with-gd=static,../gd-1.8.4 ...

Then I edit the resulting Makefile and make sure that the GD line
contains "-DUSE_GD_TTF", and NOT "-DUSE_GD_FT".

As for GD, I compile my own version and link it statically to MapServer.
I just make sure to edit GD's Makefile and use -DHAVE_LIBTTF (and -lttf)
instead of -DHAVE_LIBFREETYPE (and -lfreetype).

I don't know if all these have  anything to do with labels getting screwed
up but I've never had issues with Truetype fonts this way.

By the way, I use Gentoo Linux and Lycoris Desktop/LX.  I don't have
Redhat 8 but I know my Lycoris binaries work properly on it (having used
it for a workshop at JPL).

Good luck!
-Perry N.