[Mapserver-users] Label background scaling problem

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at ikf.nlh.no
Thu Jan 23 08:42:47 EST 2003

Mapserver 3.7, nightly 23. january.
(Solaris 2.5.1)
MapServer version 3.7 (development) OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG
  OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
  SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=GD2_RGB INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=SDE
  INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

GDAL 1.1.8
GD 2.0.11
PostGIS 0.7.3
Freetype 2.1.2

I have tried to use labels with a background. I wanted to
scale both the (point) symbols and the labels (with
background) according to the scale of the map (different
scaling for the point symbols and the labels). The symbols
seem to scale OK, the labels seem to scale OK, but the
label background rectangles do not scale the same as the
label text (in my case, they scale "too much", so the
background rectangles become enormous compared to the
text when zooming in). If I set LABEL.MAXSIZE to the same
value as LABEL.MINSIZE and LABEL.SIZE, the text behaves
as expected, but the background box is not affected.

Am I doing something wrong?

(There might also be some problems with label placement
when scaling labels)

I have included some (relevant?) parts from my map-file
below.

********************************
 OUTPUTFORMAT
   NAME png24
   DRIVER "GD/PNG"
   IMAGEMODE RGBA
   TRANSPARENT ON
 END
********************************
The LAYER definition:
********************************
  LAYER
    NAME test
    DATA test
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TYPE POINT
    PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:32633" #32633: UTM zone 33, WGS84
    END
    LABELITEM "testitem"
    LABELMAXSCALE 500000
    LABELMINSCALE 10000
    MAXSCALE 100000000
    MINSCALE 10000
    SYMBOLSCALE 400000
    CLASS
      NAME "Test"
      COLOR 255 0 255
      SYMBOL "circle"
      SIZE 5
      MINSIZE 3
      MAXSIZE 20
      LABEL
        COLOR 0 0 0
        BACKGROUNDCOLOR 225 225 200
        POSITION UR
        FONT futura-bold
        TYPE truetype
        SIZE 10
        MINSIZE 4
        MAXSIZE 20
      END
    END # CLASS
  END # LAYER
--
Håvard Tveite                      Phone:  +47 64948857
Department of Mapping Sciences     Fax:    +47 64948856