[Mapserver-users] Arabic label

Daniel Penninck squale_666 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 24 03:26:12 EST 2003

Steve,

first, thanks for your reply.

The fact is that that the problem has two aspect:
First get an arabic font.
And, second, set the correct charactère encoding.

Althought my application run under Linux, I did some 'fonts' test under
Windows XP. I could see my 'ÔÇÑÚ ÇáÏáÊÇ' text as arabic in internet explorer
and Netscape by changing the encoding (I.E character set) from
Western European (ISO) to Arabic (ISO).

So I would like to know which font those programs use when I do this change.
I think there is no change since the default Arial font support 'arabic
base' character set.
And if there is no character font change, I would like to know how to tell
my mapserver cgi to use another character set. How do I do that on Linux?

Does the GD or the Freetype library have something to do whith that? Do I
have to recompile those library and relink my mapserver binary?

Thanks for help.