[Mapserver-users] ECW files

Lyndon Zimmermann lyndon.zimmermann at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Jan 27 20:12:22 EST 2003

Greetings all,

I'd like to use an ecw file in a Mapserver application and need some
clues.

I'm using Mapserver 3.6 binary on a Windows NT box.  It's all running
happily, though all files are presented unprojected.

Firstly, http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/frmt_ecw.html doco says
maximum ecw filesize is 500MB, and the dataset is larger than that.
Any clues on software that can uncompress, clip and recompress?

Secondly, doco says certain SDK dll's are required and suggests
location in the 'same directory as the GDAL DLL'. I found the SDK
library, but I can't find the GDAL DLL on my machine.  Where does the
GDAL come from?

Thirdly, I'm worried about projection.  The ecw is in UTM Zone 53
South GDA94 (=WGS84 horizontally) and I want to project to Albers,
already configured.  I this object adequate:

LAYER
     NAME "mtlofty_ecw"
     DATA "MtLoftyRanges.ecw"
     TYPE RASTER