[Mapserver-users] For MapScript + Zope users, ZMapServer 0.3

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jan 28 13:21:23 EST 2003

Norman Vine wrote:

> I must confess that I am playing a bit of the 'devil's advocate' here
> but what makes you suspect the 'script' version of mapserver

(I'm a bit playing devil's advocate too, but for the other party)

Memory leaks and thread-safety issues are a problem only for the script
versions because the mapserv CGI creates a new process everytime which
automagically cleans up after itself, etc.  (The same is true for PHP
MapScript when used with PHP in CGI mode)

> Is this just conjecture or is there evidence of a problem ?

No, I don't have evidence of any major problem, but I don't have
evidence that everything is fine either... hence my doubts.  ;)
I can easily imagine that things like static buffers used in some libs
like GDAL/OGR and possibly others (GD, freetype 1.3?) could cause us
some grief in a persistent module.

> If so, are we sure that this problem isn't exhibited by the 'C' version
> too ?

Of course if there are problems they would be in the C code as well,
actually they would come from the C code.

Better-safe-than-sorry'ly yours

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca