[Mapserver-users] JavaScript vs MapScript for interfacedevelopment...

Flavio Hendry flavio at tydac.ch
Tue Jul 1 11:48:45 EDT 2003

hi thorsten

this was a really really long answer. however, as ed and I pointed out,
there is nowhere a decent reference to any javascript holes. and google
is normally pretty good pointing that out: all I get is from times
before computer was invented or so ... and your mail, even being pretty
extensive, it does not say anything again, where are the holes and
dangers, tell us ????????? ...

so, to shortly sum, there are none:

- I do not know of any organization in switzerland (normally extremely
picky about security) that turns it off ...

- I do not know about any site without it. even yours, mapmedia.de has
some ...

- If one visits decent professional sites, they are nevere anonymous,
so how could you damage anybody - they'd be up your neck immediately ...

- with javascript you can do fancy things; and I agree pretty nasty
ones too if you visit certain sites ...

- in 5-6 years on surfing I never had and never heard of a problem with
javascript by anybody ever - however of a lot of other "accidents" (as
well with cars ... and even if it bugs you I stay with that, even if
there is no risk with js, all the security issues have to do with risk -
and if you use something there is risk along with it ... it's a
question how far you go to prevent it ... and turning off js is to me
like wearing a helmet when walking around in the apartment ...)

so, turn it on, relay and enjoy - there are many sites which make great
use of it ...

flavio