[mapserver-users] SWF output demo site?

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 1 16:32:37 EDT 2003

Hi Daniel, list,

if you look at this site (it's in Dutch unfortunately) they have a raster
background layer which is zoomed in at the flash client side (no server
contact).

http://www.friesland.nl/risicokaart2/risicokaart/risicokaart.htm

-Pick something from the combo box in top of the page (like the second one,
"Ameland")
-Press the (+) button several times to zoom in until you get the raster
background, and pan a little bit towards the urban area in the west.

It is just a high-quality raster which is being zoomed in on client-side,
don't you think? It performs pretty well, but I heard they use tiled swf
files which are ready on the server-side.

Is a thing like this possible with mapserver? For instance can you prepare
tiles in SWF which are served by mapserver? Or could it be created on the
fly fast enough? Could this be a useful enhancement, or is it more a GDAL
issue?

Bart