[Mapserver-users] Error with Demo-Package

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Wed Jul 2 10:27:47 EDT 2003

short answer: search the mailing list archives
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma/mapserver-users) for
'ctyhwy.gif'. This will give you plenty of messages about the same issue.

Longer answer: the demo is old, from the time gif wasn't copyrighted (or at
least unisys didn't force their copyrights on it). Mapserver uses libgd to
read/render graphics, which doesn't do gif anymore unless you have a special
patched version (for which you officially require a license). The demo should
be updated.
Workaround: convert the gif's to png and change the refenrence to these gifs
in the map files to the new png files.

Cheers,
Vincent.