[Mapserver-users] Python/Mapscript

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Sat Jul 12 14:12:37 EDT 2003

On Saturday, July 12, 2003, at 11:53  AM, Heitzso wrote:

> Good point.   And many thanks for offering to help.
>
> I followed the directions at
>    http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PythonMapScript
> to build the python mapscript module.  In addition to the file
> modifications noted at that web page, I also had to create several
> symbolic links in /usr/lib to pick up some of the libraries.   Creating
> the symbolic links was straight forward.  Altering the files was
> scarier because I'm not familair with swig setup, but I followed
> the directions and the 'setup.py install' script ran with only
> warnings.
>
> from python2.2/site-packages, doing a 'ls -1 MapScri* mapscri*'
> yields:
>    MapScript.so
>    MapScriptc.so
>
>    mapscript:          MapScript.py
>        MapScript.pyc
>        __init__.py
>        __init__.pyc
> which were created by the 'python setup.py install' run as
> root in the mapscript/python directory.
>
> Please let me know if there's another sequence I should follow.
> If you'ld like copies of my files, stdout/stderr output, etc.
> let me know and I'll prepare.
>
> Thanks again,
> Heitzso

Heitzso,

Please disregard the directions on the Wiki page.  They are a bit
out of date.  Here is the official recipe to compile Python
MapScript.

1. Download and compile the latest nightly (pre-4.0) MapServer.
    This is important because it will allow you to pick up some
    important changes made to the mapscript wrappers since the
    4.0beta1 release was made.
2. cd into the mapscript/python directory
3. execute "python setup.py install".  That's it.

If MapServer was built properly, the newest setup.py script will
find all the required libraries for you.

Sorry about the confusion with the Wiki, we Python users must
come together at some point and get the docs straightened out.

cheers,
Sean

--
Sean Gillies