[Mapserver-users] Creating Python MapScript installers for Win32

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Mon Jul 14 16:40:11 EDT 2003

Sean Gillies writes:

> Some of us spent way too much time at the end of last week
> trying to get the modules properly set up on Win32.  Is
> there anyone who could follow these directions
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/dist/creating-wininst.html
>
> and make Win32 install files available for Python 2.1 and 2.2?
> Would be a great service to the community.  Michael?  Dave?

FWIW python mapscript compiles OTB with Cygwin and my setup.py
You will need to tweak the mapserver Makefile a little to get OGR and
gdal support though

$ ./mapserv -v
MapServer version 4.0-beta2 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG
OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT INPUT=TIFF
INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR
INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

This requires a bit of work to get the system setup i.e
download and install Cygwin, gd, gdal, proj, freetype2
but once done the compilation process just works :-)

One could probably setup a MSYS enviroment that
would do the same for a Native WIN32 compilation
http://www.mingw.org.  If anyone wants to setup such a
system and is willing to provide updated binaries on a
regular basis such as those provided on the UMN website
my guess this would entail approx half a days work if starting
from scratch and unfamiliar with MSYS, but once done could
be the basis for a daily batch process from CVS

Another alternative is to set up a MingW cross compiler on
a Unix box that would do the same thing
http://jrfonseca.dyndns.org/projects/gnu-win32/documentation/cross/

I have placed my mapserver makefile alongside my mapscript setup.py @
http://www.vso.cape.com/~nhv/files/python/mapscript/4.0/