[Mapserver-users] Mapscript problems

Joe Smith joe at poconogis.com
Thu Jul 17 11:04:59 EDT 2003

Hi,
I have been working with mapserver for a few weeks now without too much
trouble, but I've run into some problems trying to get mapscript to compile.
It runs fine without the --with-php option, but I'm looking to add more
functionality.  I'm actually trying to get mapscript compiled in two
places - my local linux box where i do the editing, and on the web server.
It doesn't seem to work on either.

Here's the specs/problem on the local box:
Linux 9, apache 2.0.47, php 4.3.2, mapserver 3.6.6

I know what the problem is ; php isn't compiling with
the --with-regex=system like it should, and I don't know why.  I checked
phpinfo and the regex section didn't have anything about system.  I compile
php like this:

./configure \
	--prefix=/usr/local/www/php \
      --with-config-file-path=/usr/local/www/php \
      --enable-track-vars \
	--enable-force-cgi-redirect \
	--with-regex=system \
	--with-mysql \
	--with-zlib \
	--without-ttf
make
make install
cp -p php.ini-recommended /usr/local/www/php/php.ini

I tried removing config.cache like some of the posts suggested (and make
clean), but it did not work.  I'm still getting familiar with linux/unix so
I wouldn't really know where to look if it was using some old version of a
file in the compile.

Here's the specs/problem on the web server:
FreeBSD 4.4, apache 1.3.22, php 4.0.6, mapserver 3.6.6

When I try to make mapserver, I get this:

A bunch of undefined references when it gets to php_mapscript.so
"Stop in /usr/home/joe/mapserver/mapscript/php3"
"*** Error code 1"

Here's my configure line for mapserver:
./configure --with-gd=/usr/local --with-php=/usr/local/www/include/php

I do have root access, and apache and php were already running so I don't
want to mess with them if I don't have to, since it's a virtual server (I
could probably recompile php though).  Is anyone familar with either of
these problems or have any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

Joe