[Mapserver-users] Problem setting up direct URLs when using MapScript

AMC Story s9646183 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 22 10:03:48 EDT 2003

Hi there,

My problem is that I've set up a user interface to my application using perl
MapScript.  The script utilises a form that passes back variables such as the
current map extents, previous map extents, mouse click locations, modes (ie.
pan north, zoomin, previous extent etc), active layers and so on.  I then use
MapScript to manipulate these variables, set the new extents and active layers
accordingly and then redraw the map.

So, the user is first presented with a screen that lists all the features of
interest (i.e. all the point objects in my shapefile).  The user can then click
on the url of each feature to go to the map interface page and see a map that
is zoomed in to that point.  The user can also click on an image on the opening
page which submits a form with the hidden variable "mode" set to "full_extent",
so that they see the whole world map with all the features displayed.

The problem is, that when you click on the url (which looks like this...
variables are passed and the script runs.  The script then works out the extent
of the new map based on these variables and a new map should be created with
this extent (ie the extents for $current_map are set to their zoomed in values,
and then the $current_map->draw method draws the map).  However, to see the
zoomed in map, you have to manually refresh the browser, or put in a line to
the script which does this automatically for you.  Otherwise, the map is drawn
as if the extent values haven't actually been changed from those in the map
file.  Can anyone see why this might be the case?  I've printed out the extents
of the map object just before it gets drawn, and they definately have been
updated, but the map object that is drawn doesn't seem to reflect this..??

Sorry if this is a really long-winded e-mail ;)

Many thanks for any thoughts,
Ali