[Mapserver-users] Support for floating point binary grids

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 23 22:23:17 EDT 2003

Woody Wallace wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Raster HOWTO (dated 2001) suggests that more work is planned/in
> progress for reading in and classifying floating point rasters.
>
> "Some format drivers (ie. GDAL) cast the pixel values to the range 0 to
> 255 before applying the classification scheme to them, making it hard to
> use this classification mechanism to classify floating point, or other
> data not well expressed as unsigned byte data (0-255). This is a bug and
> should be corrected at some point in the future."

Woody,

This will not be corrected in MapServer 4.0.  I do still hope to work on it
for a 4.1 release, but there are no guarantees.  Generally speaking I would
encourage people wishing to do web mapping with scientific data using
non-trivial classification schemes to pre-classify the data before publishing
it on the web.

Best regards,