[Mapserver-users] List Question RFC

Thomas Thomas
Thu Jul 24 16:22:09 EDT 2003

Good listers,

We here at UMN have gone around and around on this to arrive at
where we are at. I'll try to explain what that means but we are
open to good alernatives. But the alternative has to work better,
overall, than what we have; not just better in some respect.

The Mailman software has many management features that we like.
Digesting is simple and many people prefer that. Archiving is
straightforward. Dealing with SPAM is reasonable.

We briefly considered a Yahoo Groups-type approach but decided
against it based on the baggage it carries. If someone wants a
Web solution, we suggest the approach of "browsing the archive"
<http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma/mapserver-users#brows
e> ([Index]); it's not instantaneous but if the Web is what's
important to you, it's not bad. We're assuming, I guess, if
instantaneous is important, you'll subscribe in the default way.

I don't know why we sometimes see what Randy is describing. I see
that too, though not very often. I don['t think it's anything
we're doing.

I don't see that many "HTML" formatted e-mails. They bother me
too (my client doesn't display them directly), but we don't want
to take a "bad cop" approach to managing the list. Generally
speaking I think most, though not all, posting to this list is
pretty responsible.

I actually understood Lowell's point. I don't think there is
anything we can do about it though. The Digest list user can, of
course, do something about it.

Don't know if that helps but just wanted people to know we're
listening.

Tom
Dr. Thomas E. Burk
University of Minnesota