[Mapserver-users] Displaying grayscale jpeg

AMC Story s9646183 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 29 11:17:08 EDT 2003

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble displaying a grayscale jpeg image as a background raster on
my maps.  I took it from the documentation that this should not require that
mapserv be compiled with an additional library....?  This is the relevant code
in my mapfile:

LAYER
  NAME "background"
  DATA "mapscript/data/world.jpg"
  TYPE RASTER
  STATUS DEFAULT
END

but using status default (i.e. turning the layer on) causes my application to
crash.  One thing I thought it might be was that the map image is 600 x 290
pixels, whereas the jpeg is 600 x 288.  I thought that perhaps this wouldn't be
too serious, but could this be the reason the application is crashing?

Thanks,
Ali