[Mapserver-users] Using MapServer as a general graphing engine

Mishtu Banerjee, SCIENTIFICALS mishtu_banerjee at telus.net
Wed Jul 30 00:07:30 EDT 2003

There's a small set of 2D graphs that are very commonly used in data
analysis -- and if they could be represented in mapserver -- one would be
able to do a lot of visual statistical analysis:

1. Visualizing Location: These are things like "BoxPlots" or "Bar and
Whisker" Plots.
2. Visualizing Spread: These are things like a simple X, Y scatter --
Tyler's example is X,Y data, as
two variables. But say you have multiple variables -- you can do a series of
2X2 scattergrams. Often you can draw an ellipse around the x,Y scatters to
represent the spread.
3. Visualing Distribution. Histograms, cumulative frequency diagrams.

Location, Spread, Distribution in simpler or fancier forms are the guts of
most data analysis. Stats programs (such as Systat) of course have a way of
dealing with these things, in the non-spatial realm; but can't handle
spatial data well. So, is it possible to have a system that handles spatial
well, also handle non-spatial in terms of cartesian space?

In terms of geometry, from a data visualization point of view, you're
working in cartesian space -- and could be said to be providing various maps
of the space. A scattergram is like locating points. A BoxPlot could be seen
as a kind of standard polygon shape, that will be scaled based on the
statistics, and located based on the X,Y midpoints.

If you had the ability to incorporate this into MapServer as 2D displays,
MapServer would morph into a Visual Stats Server. :-)

-- mishtu