[Mapserver-users] Re: MapServer and FileMaker Pro on Mac OS X

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Thu Jul 31 15:07:08 EDT 2003

seems this fell through the cracks.

--- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, Hugh Evans <hevans at m...> wrote:
> Hi all - am looking at storing lats and longs etc. in a FilemakerPro
> document and sending search results to mapserver....

you can't really "send" the search results to mapserver unless you are
creating an application in FMPro and then using AppleScript or
something to fire up the Mapserver URL in the browser...

I think what you mean is "pull" the lat-long info from FMPro into
Mapserver...

To do that, you would need something like ODBC turned on. Once that is
on, and assuming you are using some kind of scripting (Perl, PHP, Tcl,
Python, etc.), you could use the ODBC connector to get to the lat-long
data inside FMPro.

Anyone of the above languages may also have a direct-to-FMPro
module/package, but I highly doubt that. Hence, ODBC may be the only
way to go.

If you are averse to using a large, complicated database system, I
highly recommend SQLite... there is a wonderful Perl module for SQLite
which, on installation, installs the darn database (SQLite) engine as
well... cool!

Hope this helps.