[Mapserver-users] Re: MapServer on Windows XP and IIS

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Thu Jul 31 16:08:08 EDT 2003

--- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, "Jeff L." <nf10 at h...> wrote:
> Ed,
>
> I would use some links or tips to learn about Apache
> and file permissions. The reason i'm contacting this
> list to get some tips from other people
> experiences. Otherwise, i can spend many days to learn
> appache, but this could be overkilling for my very basic
> needs. All i want is to be able to
> run this demo as a start then may be go deeper.

Hi Jeff,

I know that you are in Ed's capable hands, but here is just my 0.02 Euros.

1. If you are running, or wanting to run, Mapserver, you really should
spend some (perhaps a lot of) time learning about the webserver,
permissions, security, CGI, etc. You shouldn't be diving into a server
side application without understanding the risks (and rewards).

2. Folks on this list will be happy to guide you, but a list is really
not for "learning". The reason many of us are able to solve someone
else's problem is because we have spent "many days" learning that
program. Once you are good at it, you will support the Mapserver cause
by helping others who might be stuck. A list is for problem-solving,
not for learning, unless you are doing passive-learning by "watching"
other conversations.

3. You say that you do want to delve deeper into Mapserver. When you
do that, you will have to learn everything I mentioned above in #1. Do
it now, and you will be that much ahead.

All things Apache are at httpd.apache.org, and in the most excellent
documentation that should have gotten installed on your computer when
you installed Apache. It is a great webserver (kudos to the Apache
team),  and we can do them a favor by reading the docs they wrote.

Welcome to list, and hopefully you will soon be at a stage where you
will be helping others.

Puneet.