[Mapserver-users] Server Specs for Mapserver Install

Steve Hasz steve at roatanet.com
Sun Mar 2 15:43:05 EST 2003

Dear Group,

I've searched the docs and the archives, but haven't been able to find
answers to the below.  It would be great if someone could give me some info
or point me to the relevant docs.

I'm looking at an install of Mapserver and the libraries in on a VPS at
Verio.  Can someone tell me if the usual install is on a dedicated server or
if it will run well on shared hosting?  It will be on FreeBSD, where we have
access to everything through FTP and SSH/Telnet, including the Apache config
file, PHP install directory and libraries directory.  The current version of
PHP is 4.3, but we can roll back if we have to.  We also have full install
privileges for nearly all software.

With the Mapserver CGI/PHP Mapscript module, is the server load heavy and
what are some typical space allotments and usage that some of you have for
your installs/data files?  I understand that load will depend completely on
traffic, so any numbers on traffic (hits, page views, transfer, bandwidth
purchased) would be interesting as well.  The only thing I've found in the
archives is reference to, "My server is slow, so I need to upgrade,"  which
makes me think it may be processor and memory intensive if it's taking any
traffic.

Also, if available, hints or pointers to docs on optimizing the Mapserver
install for efficiency would be great too.

Best regards,
Steve
www.roatanet.com - Visitors Guide to Roatan and the Bay Islands
www.travel-to-honduras.com - Your Travel Guide to Honduras