[Mapserver-users] drawing labels dynamically

John Deck jdeck at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Mar 4 10:35:25 EST 2003

This was somewhere on the list awhile back I think...

Here is what I did though:
Make a point layer called dynamic_point in the map file and added points
to the layer in PHP, sending label attributes with the point object draw
command.

The PHP is something like:

$l_pointLabel = ms_newPointObj();
$l_pointLabel->setXY($x-coord,$y-coord);
$l_layerPoint = $l_map->getLayerByName("dynamic_point");
$l_image=$l_map->draw();
$l_pointLabel->draw($l_map,$l_layerPoint,$l_image,0,"some value you want
to label the point with");
$l_map->drawLabelCache($l_image);

You can loop this or pull whatever values you want for labels from an
external database.

Here is what the layer looks like:

LAYER
    NAME dynamic_points