[Mapserver-users] GDAL / GIF misunderstanding?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 4 13:49:31 EST 2003

Doug Cates wrote:
> Do I misunderstand? I thought that if I use GDAL, I should be able to read
> the GIFs. I'm not trying to write GIF, but the drawGIF() message above seems
> to indicate that I'm trying to do so. I'm definitely requesting the map
> using FORMAT=image/png in the WMS request.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

Doug,

It seems that the 3.6.x series code (in mapraster.c) is still setup to
call drawGIF() and report an error if GIF is not enabled even if GDAL is
available and does have GIF support.

I could provide a patch for mapraster.c if you are interested.  Should this
be rolled into a future 3.6.x?  Note, I did already ensure that GDAL would
be used if TIFF, PNG or JPEG were not configured, but for some reason the
same fix was not applied for GIF.

This isn't an issue in MapServer 3.7 where the rules are fairly different.

Best regards,