[Mapserver-users] E00 to SHP Conversion Utilities?

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Mar 6 11:00:30 EST 2003

Dan Barron wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion on the best approach to convert E00 files to
> SHP files?  I have tried the FME Suite from Safe Sowftware, are there other
> available tools/utilities to accomplish this conversion?

FME is definitely the best option, but the license may be expensive.

Unfortunately OGR doesn't support reading E00 files yet, otherwise using
ogr2ogr would be a good option too.  I'm sure many GIS packages will
allow import of E00 and export to shapefiles, but I don't have any to
suggest.

However, OGR (GDAL 1.1.8) does support reading binary coverages, so you
can do the conversion in two steps if you want:

1- Convert your E00s to binary coverages using the 'AVCIMPORT' utility
at http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/e00/index-avce00.html

2- Use 'ogr2ogr' (part of GDAL 1.1.8) to convert the binary coverages to
shapefiles.  There should be some docs on using ogr2ogr on the OGR
website at http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/opengis/index.html

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca