[Mapserver-users] why does my raster layer turn my shapefile layer gray?

Chris Black cblack at CalAcademy.Org
Mon Mar 10 20:43:38 EST 2003

Hello all,

I have a map with two layers: one is an ArcView grid file that is a
relief map of the SF Bay Area in various shades of gray.  The other is a
shapefile that show the bay waters in two classes, shallow and deep.  If
I display just the shapefile layer ("Baylands" in the mapfile below),
these two classes are two different shades of blue.  If I display the
raster layer ("bayraster") as well, the classes are changed to shades of
gray.  Why does it happen, and how can I get my colors back?

Much thanks for any help.

-- Chris

Mapserver version string:  "MapServer version 3.7 (development)
OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF OUTPUT=SWF SUPPORTS=PROJ
SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=GD2_RGB INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE"

I view the map with the url
"http://localhost/Scripts/mapserv.exe?map=C:/inetpub/wwwroot/mapserverapps/IZG/testraster.map&mode=map"

testraster.map:
--------------- cut here ----------------------
# Note: Comments in a map file are preceeded by the pound (#) sign.
# When MapServer encounters the pound sign, it will ignore the
# rest of the line.  Unfortunately, you can't comment a whole block
# of code or text in MapServer.  So, you're stuck with adding pound
# signs for every line you wish to comment out.

NAME CALCTYEX1
EXTENT 467416 4085763 623532 4288980
SIZE 350 300
UNITS METERS
SHAPEPATH "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\MapServerApps\IZG\data\"
SYMBOLSET "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\MapServerApps\symbols\symbols.sym"

LAYER
    data "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\sfbay\data\EcoAtlas\grid\sfbayshr"
    NAME "bayraster"
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TYPE RASTER
    CLASS
        NAME "Relief Map"
    END # CLASS
END # LAYER
LAYER
    NAME "Baylands"
    DATA "vector\mbypsfby"
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TYPE POLYGON
    CLASS
        NAME "Deep Bay"
        EXPRESSION ('[ENTITYID]' = 'A00000000000')
        COLOR 51 51 255
    END # CLASS
    CLASS
        NAME "Shallow Bay"
        EXPRESSION ('[ENTITYID]' = 'A10000000000' OR '[ENTITYID]' =
'A10000000090' OR '[ENTITYID]' = 'B4ST00000000')
        COLOR 102 102 204
    END # CLASS
END # LAYER
END # FILE

--------------- cut here ----------------------------
I don't understand grid files very well, so here's the listing of the
grid directory and its children in case something is wrong there (though
I don't think so, since the grid itself displays ok):
-------- cut here -----------------
C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/sfbay/data/EcoAtlas/grid:
info
sfbayshr
sfbayshr.met
sfbayshrw
sfbr-sr-dbdesc.txt

C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/sfbay/data/EcoAtlas/grid/info:
arc.dir
arc0000.dat
arc0000.nit
arc0001.dat
arc0001.nit
arc0002.dat
arc0002.nit
arc0002r.001

C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/sfbay/data/EcoAtlas/grid/sfbayshr:
dblbnd.adf
hdr.adf
log
prj.adf