[Mapserver-users] SQL Server, Data entry

bugbug at shaw.ca bugbug at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 11 14:54:44 EST 2003

Hi Im a newbie to the GIS world in general and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I have created a project that uses ASP on the front end and SQL Server on the backend. I use forms to allow users to update the database and have queries to display the current data.

I would like to "GIS-enable" the project using mapserver if possible.

The data basically consists of water wells within a region( Province of Nova Scotia) . I have access to shape files for the region( county borders..etc)

Each record in my database has location values allowing the well to be mapped( I guess).

Im guessing I can convert the sql tables to text then use gen2shp or something by scheduling a task to call a script nightly to create a point shape file from the coordinates in the sql database( no idea if thats how one should do it). Combine that with the county/province shape files to display on a map and query using mapserver( havent tried out yet). I have no idea if Im even headed in the right direction. I need to be able to add/change and delete wells on the fly. So just being able to read and query shapefiles wont be good enough as new wells are being added by users all the time.

It sure be cool to allow users to visually/spatial query the SQL database AND have that visual data updated via the updated data in the sql database. Is mapserver the way to go here? Will I be able to do what I am describing ? Im I limited to just displaying static data in premade shape files ? Can I use mapserver with Sql Server and asp ?

Im completely new to GIS, Maps..shapefiles..etc.  Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis