[Mapserver-users] Transparency values - confusion

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at ikf.nlh.no
Thu Mar 13 13:03:00 EST 2003

I have been testing Mapserver 3.7 and it really has many
nice features.
The TRANSPARENCY class-parameter is very useful, but I am
a little confused regarding its use.

For IMAGETYPE PNG in my build, a TRANSPARENCY value of 90
gives me 10 % transparency, while for IMAGETYPE PNG24 and
IMAGETYPE JPEG, a TRANSPARENCY value of 90 gives me 90%
transparency (for me, the latter is the expected behaviour).

The 3.7 documentation says:
 > TRANSPARENCY [integer]
 > Sets the transparency level of all classed pixels for a
 > given layer. The value is a percentage (0-100) where 100
 > is opaque and 0 is fully transparent.

Is this not counter intuitive?
I hope that something like this will be default behaviour:
TRANSPARENCY [integer]
  Sets the transparency level of all classed pixels for a
  given layer. The value is a percentage (0-100) where 0 is
  completely opaque and 100 is fully transparent.

(I have GD 2.0.11):
MapServer version 3.7 (development) OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
  SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
  SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=GD2_RGB INPUT=EPPL7
  INPUT=SDE INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

--
H. Tveite                           Phone:  +47 64948857
Department of Mapping Sciences      Fax:    +47 64948856