[Mapserver-users] RE: latitude and longitude

Kieran J. Ames kames at keyspanenergy.com
Fri Mar 14 10:47:11 EST 2003

This was a reach for me as well. I always think in terms of LAT-LON" AND "X-Y",
and started out by putting those terms together.
If you think about it, the x-axis is horizontal and the y-axis vertical
(usually).
The x-axis looks like a line of latitude, but it is measured going right and
left... away from the origin. How far you move across this axis away from the
origin really translates to your longitude.
Your y-axis goes up and down. How far you move away from the origin would take
you toward the "poles" of the earth. As you move toward the poles, you're really
changing your latitude.
Kieran