[Mapserver-users] RE: symbol transparency

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at ikf.nlh.no
Fri Mar 21 12:04:28 EST 2003

ryanne cruz wrote:
> can anyone tell me how to makes the symbols transparent? i saw in the
> documentation that the symbols has an attribute "transaparent [color index]".
> but i did not understand it. can anyone please explain it to me? thanks.

I don't think this has not been documented completely yet. I
have tested a bit, and the following is based on my experiences.
In mapserver 3.7, you can use TRANSPARENCY 50 (LAYER attribute)
to make everything in a layer 50% transparent (TRANSPARENCY 10
means 90% transparent :-( ). This works for both raster and
vector data. I am not sure if text can be made transparent.
The chosen image type / outputformat might be important.

--
Håvard Tveite                       Phone:  +47 64948857
Department of Mapping Sciences      Fax:    +47 64948856