[Mapserver-users] default extent

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Mar 21 17:17:35 EST 2003

Who wrote that documentation? It's wrong so it was probably me... ;-)
The extent given in the map file IS the default extent. So, if you
access the application and don't specifiy and extent (via a myriad of
means) then that value will be used. There is no magic way to create it
in absence of setting it. The default is something like -1,-1,-1,-1 and
the scale computation code checks for a degenerate extent and reports
the error you mention.

The code *should* (in absence of an extent) examine all layers and come
up with a minimum bounding box. You can add this as a feature request to
bugzilla but it's not a high priority... Interestingly the tool (i.e.
msLayerGetExtent() function) to get that value has already been written
and just needs to be hooked up in the CGI version and perhaps as a
method for MapScript (eg. $map->setDefaultExtent();).

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Jan Hartmann <jhart at frw.uva.nl> 03/21/03 10:04AM >>>
The MS3.7 MapFile doc says under the MAP heading:

-------------------------------------
EXTENT [minx] [miny] [maxx] [maxy]

     The spatial extent of the map to be created. Most often you will
want to specify this, although mapserver will extrapolate one if none
is
specified.

It would be nice if EXTENT had some sort of default, but I always get
an
error-message when I don't specify it:

(msCalculateScale(): General error message. Invalid image extent).

What exactly does this mean?

Jan