[Mapserver-users] DUMP GML output

Doug Cates doug at moximedia.com
Sun Mar 23 21:43:29 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm using MapServer 3.6.4 as a WMS server, and it is working very well. For
the GetFeatureInfo request, I'm asking for the info in format
"application/vnd.ogc.gml", which works fine if "DUMP true" is added to the
map file for each queryable layer. The result returns attribute values and
geometry.

I'm asking for it this way so I can process the XML response, move the
values into a recordset, and use the results in my application in a number
of ways. Most of the time, I don't need the geometry. Since the geometry can
be quite large, it wastes a lot of bandwidth and time when I don't need it.
I'd like some way of turning the geometry off when it isn't required, or
when I don't care to expose the geometry to other users of my services.

I propose that the DUMP directive be extended, with more options than true
or false. Something like:

DUMP true
Outputs all attribute fields and geometry.

DUMP false
Disable GML output.

DUMP attributes
Outputs attribute fields only (no geometry).

DUMP "field1,field2,...."
Outputs specified fields only. Output geometry only if geometry/shape field
name included.

Strangely, DUMP doesn't seem to work unless a template is specified in a
class of the layer. There does not seem to be a way to specify that a map
query should respond in GML format only. I'd like to see the DUMP work
independently of a template. Perhaps we should review the way that the
GetFeatureInfo capabilities are determined from the map file.

For the time being, I've modified my code to disable the geometry output.
I'd prefer to be able to do this on a layer by layer basis. I'm not that
experienced with MapServer, so perhaps this is already possible. I'd be
interested in any comments or suggestions that anyone has on this.

Best regards,
Doug
--
Doug Cates