[Mapserver-users] Configure --with-system-regex

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Tue Mar 25 04:07:08 EST 2003

Gerard,

Have you checked what your phpinfo sais about php's regex? You can check
whether your php *really* is using the system regex by looking in
your phpinfo output: in the 'Standard' section, it should say:

Regex Library                   System library enabled

Mind that you should check the phpinfo page using the php version that
mapserver will also use (e.g. the cgi version). (Eventually call your php
page containing the phpinfo statement info.phpms or whatever suffix you have
defined for your cgi version of php, if you defined a separate one).
If there is something different than 'system library enabled', your php was
*not* compiled with the system regex library and you should check the
configure output of php to find the reason why it ignores your regex=system
option.

If it *does* say php is using the system regex, maybe after compiling your
php-cgi, you recompiled php as an apache module (or
some other SAPI) using another regex? This, when you do a make install,
changes the header files
of php and the php-config, so that mapserver only sees the last compiled
version of php. You should either compile the cgi last, or use a different
install directory for the cgi version (e.g. /usr/local/phpcgi ). You can set
this with some prefix option(s) in the configure options. I am using the last
option myself (separate directories) which enables me to do separate
compilations of whatever type of php without having to bother about mapserver
using the wrong header files. Make sure though that the php ./configure
option for mapserver is pointing towards the right php-config executable.
Otherwise it will find the one that is first in the path, which might be the
one belonging to the module version.

Btw have you checked the
'http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RedHat8AndMapserver37'
wiki document? This contains a lot of pointers towards compiling a proper
mapserver environment (including php) on linux.

Regards,
Vincent Schut.