[Mapserver-users] please give me an advice on this !

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Tue Mar 25 08:41:55 EST 2003

Petur,

that depends on so many things you don't provide information about, that it
really is impossible to answer your question now.
E.g. for performance of mapserver the spatial extent (1400 km) is not so much
the issue, but for example things like the complexity of your shapes, how
many layers / classes do you have (if you have these), how are your shapes
organized, what is the size (in bytes, not in meters) of your data, what kind
of requests will your users do, will they zoom in much or rather use a view
of the entire extent, etc. etc.
Usually it is better to just start simple, and don't think about performance.
Once you got things working, start improving the performance by using
shapetrees, tiles, etc. You will be able to find quite some usefull
information about several performance issues (there is no 'generic best way'
to organize things, all depends on your data and your application) on the
mapserver home/wiki pages and by searching the archives of this mailinglist (
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma/mapserver-users ).

Hoping to have helped you a bit in the right direction...

Regards,
Vincent Schut.