[Mapserver-users] any tool to process dem of gtopo30?

=?gb2312?q?Chen=20Fu?= novalet at yahoo.com.cn
Fri Mar 28 00:44:21 EST 2003

Hi!
I have use the method described in
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?BathymetryHowTo
to show my vector map with DEM.

But the data have the info of Bathymetry that is not
what i need. and what's more, the resolution is quite
low. I want to make use of the dem data in the gtopo30
to make a high resolution dem raster tileindex
dataset.

I have tried to write my own code to convert the
height to the index of palette. But to my surprise,
the result is quite poor, because the 0 ~ 8848(the
highest point in the world) must map to 256 colors.
The detail is ommited. So i believe a shade engine
must included to better illustrate small mountains.

Searched in the web, i find 3dem is a good tool to
render a dem. But it doesn't read the gtopo30 data in
regions that it is issued, but only let you select a
center point. In my solution, i hope the tools will
render every dem region to the pictures like
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/image/2minrelief.html

Anyone can give my some suggestion?

=====
Remote Scensing Satellite Ground Station
Chinese Academy of Science