[Mapserver-users] New Technology

Dave McIlhagga mcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Fri May 23 12:17:26 EDT 2003

MapServer Users,

Leading up to the MapServer User Meeting in Minnesota, I'd like to take
a moment to introduce some brand new technology to the community that we
have been working on over the past 9 months, and are preparing for
release (open source of course!) at the beginning of June.

Chameleon is PHP & MapServer based technology that allows for the
deployment of web mapping applications through the simple use of
"Widgets" which are HTML-like tags that identify through a series of
parameters the specific application behaviour for a given widget.  So
for instance if you try the URL I've included below, you'll see this
application includes map, keymap, fullextent, zoomin, zoomout, scalebar
and measure widgets plus several others.  This only represents a small
subset of the widgets that will be available in the initial release of
Chameleon.  In addition, an API will be available for the development of
new PHP widgets that can be developed for Chameleon.

For us this is the most exciting technology that we feel we will be
releasing since the original PHP/MapScript was released to the MapServer
community three years ago.  Chameleon runs on MapServer 4.0 with both
being released prior to the MapServer User Meeting in Minnesota.  Look
for much more information on Chameleon in the upcoming weeks.

If you'd like to try out an application of Chameleon, here's an
application showing the location of the upcoming MapServer User Meeting
in Minnesota:

http://www.mapsherpa.com/mum/

We are very keen to get feedback on how this works in a variety of
browsers and operating systems.  We have done a good degree of testing
in many common environments, but I'm sure there will be quirks in others
so please let us know if you have any trouble.

I'll send a follow-on note to the community when Chameleon 1.0 will be
available to the community.  One final note -- we would like to
acknowledge the funding support provided by GeoConnections of Natural
Resources Canada for the development of Chameleon that is the base for
their Configurable Web Mapping Client Component (CWC2) service.  You
will be hearing much more about this at the MapServer User Meeting.

Enjoy!

Dave
--
Dave McIlhagga