[Mapserver-users] Sharing mapfiles between apps and shapefiles between layers

Michael Anderson m_anderson14 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 11:54:35 EST 2003

Hello,

I am setting up three web sites that get most of their layers from one
shapefile. To make it easier to maintain, I'd like to create one map file
defining all the layers, and in it create approximately ten layers that all
use the same shapefile. I would create the different layers from the
shapefile using either a filter, or by using an expression in the classes I
want to display for each layer. I'm wondering about any performance penalty
I might encounter doing it this way. Would it be more efficient to create
separate shapefiles for each layer? Does it matter if I use a filter on the
layer or an expression in the classes? Thanks for any advice you can give
me.

Mike