[Mapserver-users] Java mapserver HOWTO and questions

Umberto Nicoletti unicoletti at prometeo.it
Wed Oct 1 02:58:51 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 20:10, Patrick J Barabe wrote:
> Hi Umberto,
>
> Your HOWTO was very useful to me in compiling java mapscript on Solaris.
> Thanks for submitting this to the list.

You're welcome. Could you please post to the list if there were
differencies between linux and solaris? I could add them to the howto.

> Now that I'm looking at the javadocs I compiled, I'm exactly sure how to
> implement the java module.  Do you have some sample JSP code I could
> take a look at that demos just bit of core functionality?

This is the most difficult part, as there is very little docs around.
I am planning to add some demo jsps, but they will not be ready any soon
(those that i have are very messy, definitely not ready for public
scrutiny).

What might help you is the php docs. Php classes are rather similar to
Java ones.

>  Also, should
> libmapscript.so from the java build directory go anywhere in particular,
> or is is sufficient to add this directory to $LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

For this see the Q&A at the end of the HOWTO. PLease remember that your
system path (linux/windows) is different from that searched for java.
As i said in the q&a there is a reference to an excellent thread on
tomcat-users that should help you out.

> Thanks in advance,
> Patrick Barabe

HTH,