[Mapserver-users] SOT: Historical Event Markup and Linking

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Wed Oct 1 18:29:31 EDT 2003

Came across this very interesting application.  Uses SVG for maps,
timelines, animations, etc.  Select one of the "local documents"  in the
left side of the page to see it in action.    I thought you'd be interested
in case you are thinking about animations and alternative representations
of map or location-based information.

http://heml.mta.ca/heml-cocoon/

It looks like it could use mapserver - anyone from Mount Alison University
on this list?

>From the FAQ:
"How do you make the SVG maps that underlie Heml map views?

These are created by a php script called Nimue. Quite simply, it passes
lat/long and colour values to pscoast, a part of the GMT mapping tools; the
resulting postscript is converted to SVG with pstoedit; and the SVG
document is translated to the origin with a xslt transformation. Nimue is
entirely based on free software, and it works well on a RH Linux 7.3 box.

I don't have a dedicated machine for Nimue, so I can't provide an address.
The process is so CPU-intensive that it would overwhelm the other uses that
a machine was being put to"