[Mapserver-users] Mapclient - create new window

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Thu Oct 9 06:21:23 EDT 2003

Interesting. I still can't duplicate it in my IE6-browser. Could you
send the exact, complete HTML code? It looks like a syntax error that
Mozilla passes by but IE doesn't.

Apart from that, I should expect instabilities when using standalone
iframes next to windows. The reason for that is that the mouse behaves
differently within an iframe: it sends back different coordinates in a
different way. Windows contain iframes, and one of the hairiest issue of
the program was to make the mouse behave exactly the same way within a
window and outside. In fact, 300 of the 2000 lines of code are spent on
that issue alone; it is just a great amount of keeping track of mouse
events. Standalone iframes fall outside this bookkeeping mechanism, so
they will interfere with regular windows.

I realized that this problem could occur, but I didn't expect that
someone would try to make an application with both static iframes and
movable windows. For myself, I either work with static pages (using
invisible serverFrames to fill in the HTML elements of the page,
including iframes), or with complete windowed applications, using
windows and buttons on a static background. This background can contain
all kinds of HTML, but no iframes. As a rule, I don't put very much in
this background. The main purpose of movable/hideable windows and menus
is to diminish the overcrowding you see in traditional web pages. What
kind of application are you thinking of?

Jan