[Mapserver-users] Tiling Tif Images

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Thu Oct 9 08:29:13 EDT 2003

I do this routinely with GRASS. If you have never worked with it it will
take you some time to install and learn it, but IMHO the time is well
spent. Once you have things running tiles can be made in three steps:

- import the image using r.in.gdal
- set the region to the tile you want to generate
- r.resample input=<imported image> output=<tile>
- export the image using gdal_translate

The beautiful thing about GRASS is that you can script everything using
ordinary shell scripts. I have been tiling Gigabyte rasters this way in
matters of minutes.

As to tile size, I generally create tiles of 2000*2000 pixels. An
original raster of 40000*40000 pixels gets divided into 400 tiles this
way, and this gives quick response. I haven't done much experimenting
much with this however. Did anyone on the list ever experiment with
different tile sizes on the same raster basemap? If you make the tiles
larger, it takes longer to extract the region; if you make them smaller,
chances are greater that MapServer has to combine several tiles to
generate the image. I don't know where the optimum lies.

Jan