[Mapserver-users] Mapserver 4 Makefile for VC + compile probl ems

Swaminathan, Gayathri gayathri at ou.edu
Thu Oct 9 14:43:09 EDT 2003

Hello:

You will certainly need to compile the required libraries before you proceed
compiling mapserver.

Please find in the attachment my gd makefile, that should work for command
line compilation of GD. You will need to download the version 2+ from,
http://www.boutell.com/gd

Now here is a simple solution to compiling mapserver 4,

1) Download required libraries that is (Please find links for all these at
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/win32_compile-howto.html),
   a)GD Library
   b)PNG library
   c)Zlib
   d)Regex

GD in turn needs,
   a) Zlib and,
   b) Freetype
(You should be able to comment out JPEG stuff in the included makefile for
GD and compile the same).

Alternatively you can compile GD easily using the MSVC++ workspace too...

As mentioned in the
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/win32_compile-howto.html the following
are optional,

1) Proj.4- easy compile-clean makefile
2) GDAL - easy compile-clean makefile
3) LIBTIFF-  easy compile-clean makefile
4) LIBJPEG- kind of messy
5) ArcSDE - I have not tried this option
6) EPPL7 - included with mapserver src., you will have turn on a switch for
this to get included.

Follow the instructions in mapserver docs, for compile for
commenting/uncomenting (including, excluding) options.....

Compile these libraries in your project directory first...

Download mapserver source., from here,
http://cvs.gis.umn.edu/dist/mapserver-4.0.tar.gz ( this one should not cause
any troubles..)

You probably do not want the CVS one which is a developer version., certain
things may be unstable there)...

Mapserver make is a breeze too. Just turn on  the required libraries in the
nmake.opt and follow instructions in makefile.vc.

It should all work right...

Bon Appetite!
Gayathri

PS: Please do let me know if you would like for me to help in this process.,
that is FTP to a site you would mention, my compiled libraries, makefiles
etc...If yes,let me know of the FTP location, username, passwd...