[Mapserver-users] Mapscript drawQuery() on big PostGIS layers, oid indexes, and getResult()

Daniel Faivre daniel.faivre at camptocamp.com
Thu Oct 16 06:57:23 EDT 2003

  Great thanks to David and Paul for their good advices. As I used
"using unique", I've wrongly thought that indexing oid wasn't necessary.
With an index on oid, my problem was "half-solved": it's now possible to
use the drawQuery() on my big layer.

But there's still a problem: how could I properly retrieve fields values
for all queried features ? The problem is that if I use
$my_big_layer->getResult($idx) in a loop to get the features ids,
execution time is too long.

I see two ways to solve this last problem:
1) Adding a PostGIS query after the similar Mapserver query, and using
PostGIS results for db processes and Mapserver result only for drawing ?
2) Adding another web page just to do the same query a second time
without any other task, to break the timeout barrier ?

Which is the best idea ? Is there a third solution ?

Best regards,

--
Daniel Faivre
Ohceo - Camptocamp