[Mapserver-users] Coloring shapefile layer according toDBquery

Matthew Haines mhaines94108 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 16 21:59:28 EDT 2003

Thanks once again to the MapServer community for giving me a pointer in the
right direction!

Thanks to Randy James, Steve Lime, Lowell Filak, and David Blasby I've
gotten my tax lot maps of Manhattan and Brooklyn colored by building class.
I used Steve Lime's suggestion of writing a Perl script to load the DBF file
through the XBase DBI driver, add the building class column, and then dump
it back out.

Query speed is definitely an issue, so I may end up moving to PostGIS or
tiling the shapefile.  But I'm also thinking of just pregenerating the
17,000 possible queries and dumping them to disk.  I host my web site at
valueweb.com, where I get a dedicated server with 60GB of disk for
$59/month.  Another possibility is to hold the shapefiles on ram disk.  I'll
have to experiment.

Matthew Haines
http://www.nycPropertyResearch.com
(Search on any property in Manhattan or Brooklyn to see color-coded,
clickable maps!)