[Mapserver-users] mapscript: removing layer from MapObj

Christoph Spoerri spoerri at duke.edu
Tue Oct 28 09:20:39 EST 2003

Hi,

I searched the mailing list and the web but didn't find a good way to remove
an existing layer from a MapObj (I'm using PHP mapscripts).

What I'm trying to accomplish: I have a map with multiple layers on it. I
would like to store this object in a session, so that it can be retrieved
again the next time a user sends a request (e.g. zooming in). One of those
requests is to remove one or more layers from the map, yet in order to do
this I would like to have a function/method similar to
MapObj::removeLayer(LayerIndex). Anyway to accomplish this in such a fashion?

I know, I could work with a basic mapfile and then just add the necessary
layers, but this is rather 'backwards' in my opinion and requires me to keep
track of existing layers and a bunch of other variables (I actually wrote a
few classes that to that).

Also, I took a look at the mapscript source code, and it seems that
implementing a removeLayer() method shouldn't be to hard (I wouldn't mind
taking a stab at it). Or do I miss something?

Thanks for your help,
Christoph