[Mapserver-users] Need help with dhtml rubber-band box

Ellenbecker, Larry LEllenbecker at co.winnebago.wi.us
Thu Oct 30 11:53:15 EST 2003

Hi,

I need some help trying to implement the dhtml rubber-band box from the
workshop demo.  I've been able to get the "pan controls" example to work
with my local configuration and shapefiles but can't seem to get rubber-band
to work.

I'm using mapserver 4.0, RH 8.0 and Apache 2.0. My files where I'm changing
the hidden variables:

simple_pan.html  copy of: index.html
simple_pan.map   copy of: itasca_adds_pan.html
simble_box.map   copy of: itasca.map

box_init.html    copy of: index.html
simble_box.html  copy of: itasca_adds_dhtml.html
simble_box.map   copy of: itasca.map

The application is loaded at:
/var/www/html/simple/

The tmp directory is at:
/var/www/html/tmp/

I have set my variables in the pan_init.html as:

  <!-- EDIT THESE HIDDEN VARIABLES -->

  <input type="hidden" name="map"
value="/var/www/html/simple/simple_pan.map">
  <input type="hidden" name="program" value="/cgi-bin/mapsrv4">
  <input type="hidden" name="root" value="/simple/">
  <input type="hidden" name="map_web_imagepath" value="/var/www/html/tmp/">
  <input type="hidden" name="map_web_imageurl" value="/tmp/">

      <input type="submit" value="Initialize"></center>

template simple_pan.html is set in the Web section of simple_pan.map.  This
appliction works as expected with zoom in/out and pan.

I have set my variables in the box_init.html as:

  <!-- EDIT THESE HIDDEN VARIABLES -->

  <input type="hidden" name="map"
value="/var/www/html/simple/simple_box.map">
  <input type="hidden" name="program" value="/cgi-bin/mapsrv4">
  <input type="hidden" name="root" value="/simple/">
  <input type="hidden" name="map_web_imagepath" value="/var/www/html/tmp/">
  <input type="hidden" name="map_web_imageurl" value="/tmp/">
  <input type="hidden" name="map_web_template" value="simple_box.html">
      <input type="submit" value="Initialize"></center>

The application comes up but does not display a map in the graphic area nor
the legend.  The .png files are being created upon initialization with my
shapefiles in the /var/www/html/tmp directory for the map and legend.  I've
tried every variation of the map_web_template variable that I can think of
and still no map show up in the simple_box.html application.

I'm not getting any errors on initilization in my log file to help debug the
problem.  I'm now suspecting that there may be something javascript wise
going on that changes when I go from the pan capability demo to the pan +
rubber-band box part of the demo.

I'd appreciate any insights - thanks in advance, Larry