[Mapserver-users] Merge of shapefiles

Johan Antonsson johan at antonsson.com
Thu Oct 30 16:45:19 EST 2003

Hi all,

A couple of newbie questions that I'm having problem finding answers to:

I have a large set of shape files covering most of Sweden in 50 by 50 km
squares (pieces). I would like to seamlessly generate maps within this
dataset. Does MapServer have any support for this? I.e. to know when its
time to load the shape file for an adjacent map e.g. when the user pans
(between two squares). Or do I have to keep track of this myself?

I have seen that MapServer has support for tiles but I haven't found any
good explanation what this really is. I know it's possible to generate a
tileindex shape file that will contain polygons for and links to a
number of shape files but how can I make MapServer use this file? Can it
help me with the above problem? Can anyone point me to a good tiles
information source?

Thanks in advance

/Johan

Johan Antonsson