[Mapserver-users] placing text along an arbitrary path

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Thu Apr 1 12:38:24 EST 2004

David, Alexander:

As far as I know developers are at work on their own priorities, mainly
OGC stuff, thread safety, better tile indexing.  Performance and
stability
features that they need for their own projects.

Cosmetic features like splined labels are going to be lower priority.
That said, priority of any feature can be increased if you provide an
incentive.  Hire someone to do the work, trade some services, give them
free beer, fly them to Jackson WY for a week-long all expenses paid
skiing and coding sprint.  Something like that. :)

BTW, I searched Bugzilla for "label curve" and "label spline" and found
no
feature enhancement requests.  That would be a start.

cheers,
Sean

Il giorno 31/mar/04, alle 18:28, David Mitchell ha scritto:

> I'd also be interested in this. Could the developers please comment on
> this idea?
>
> Cheers
> David
>
> Alexander Pucher wrote:
>> I've asked this already about a year ago and I'm wondering, if there
>> is any effort/news about this subject?
>> Is there a way to label lines not only horizontal or by a given
>> angle, but along a path. In a PostScript book I have, they call this
>> method "placing text along an arbitrary path".
>> Consider labeling roads or even rivers that curve a lot.
> --
> David Mitchell
> Software Engineer
> Telogis
>
> NOTICE:
> This message (including any attachments) contains CONFIDENTIAL
> INFORMATION intended for a specific individual and purpose, and
> is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient,
> you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any
> disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the
> taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Sean Gillies
sgillies at frii dot com
http://users.frii.com/sgillies