[Mapserver-users] Multiple counties in a template file !!!

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Apr 2 00:37:44 EST 2004

Dharani,

A tileindex is a collection of files that all have the same structure
and could all be concatenated together but aren't because it is easier
to work with and manage a bunch of smaller files. The other advantage is
that there are some significant performance improvements that can be had
by working with data organized using tileindexes.

Here is what I do for shapefiles. Say you have a layer called
streets.shp and you have 10 counties each with its streets.shp file in a
separate directory like:

data/county01/streets.shp
data/county02/streets.shp
data/county09/streets.shp
data/county10/streets.shp

find ./data/ -name streets.shp -print > streets.in
tile4ms streets.in streets-tile
find . -name "*.shp" -exec shptree {} \;

This will find all your streets.shp files and create a tileindex called
streets-tile.shp and also find all shapefiles and create a spatial index
for them.

Now in your mapfile

LAYER
NAME "streets"
TILEINDEX "streets-tile.shp"
END

You need to read up on this in the mapfile reference and the utilities
doc pages on the mapserver website.

You can see all of the US Tiger data at http://imaptools.com/tiger/

-Steve